Every little helps
Change can be scary, but if each of us makes some small changes, we can play our part in helping the planet.
Ireland is committed to fight against global climate change but sometimes it’s not just up to the big guys – we must do our part too.
Ask About Ireland have created a list of some very simple changes you can make to help tackle the biggest environmental challenge we have ever faced:
- Turn your thermostat down by 1ºC. You won’t feel any difference, but you’ll notice a very welcome difference when the fuel bill arrives! If you do feel a slight coolness, wear another layer. It doesn’t have to be big woolly jumper, just another top perhaps.
- Choose energy efficient appliances when making new purchases. Electrical appliances, such as washing machines, tumble dryers and fridges carry clear energy efficiency-labels so choose the most efficient if you are buying a new one.
- Wrap your water heater in an insulation blanket. You are simply wasting money if you don’t insulate the tank in your hot press.
- Use less hot water. It takes a lot of energy to heat water. You can use less hot water by taking a shower instead of a bath and by installing a low flow showerhead to minimise water use.
- Use a clothesline instead of a tumble dryer whenever possible. Even when the sun isn’t shining you can dry clothes on the clothesline outdoors or on a clotheshorse indoors with no extra energy usage.
- Turn off electronic devices you are not using: simply turning off your television, DVD player, radio, and computer completely at the on/off switch when you’re not using them will save energy.
- Don’t leave your car idle in when sitting in traffic. This not only adds to your carbon footprint but is also a waste of petrol or diesel.
To find out more visit: