Did you know?
The Burren Ecotourism Network comprises 70 businesses operating within the Burren and Cliffs of Moher UNESCO Global Geopark.
Protecting the delicate Burren environment has become a very important part of their work.
* To do your bit to help protect our planet, organise regular clean-ups in your area. This can be done in conjunction with other local groups. In the Burren, these include Burren Beo, Tidy Towns and An Taisce. Check what groups could help you with any projects in your own area.
* Encourage visitors to your area to ‘leave no trace’ and take all their rubbish home to be disposed of responsibly.
* One way of encouraging visitors is to do this, as they have done in the Burren, is to provide bags for rubbish disposal to those visiting your area. Maybe you could get these bags sponsored to help offset the cost.
* Every year, the Burren Ecotourism Network marks Earth Day by getting involved in an initiative that raises the awareness of environmental issues in their local area. This is something your group could organise also.
* The Cliffs of Moher was the first business in the Burren Ecotourism Network to install a Refill station, with many more in the pipeline. This is also something community groups can do.
For a full list of refill stations in Ireland go to https://refill.ie/tap-map/