This week Ireland’s Classic Hits Radio is looking at Organic Farming.
Did you know….
- Organic farming is a sustainable production system.
- It provides the opportunity of an alternative farming system based primarily on balancing inputs and outputs in a ‘closed’ system.
- Increased consumer awareness of food safety issues and environmental concerns has contributed to the growth in organic farming over the last few years.
- Organic farmers can access a range of services and information from the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine.
- If you are an organic food consumer, the department can help connect you with producers.
- Organic farming requires:
- the consideration and application of production methods that do not damage the environment.
- a more respectful use of the countryside.
- concern for animal welfare and the production of high-quality agricultural products.
Advantages of Organic Farming….
- No more genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
- Soil Protection
- Better nutrition
- Healthy working environment around farms
- Resistance to pests and diseases
- Fertilizers are made naturally and on-site
- Opportunity to grow a variety of crops
For More Information: