This week at Ireland’s Classic Hits Radio we’ve been looking at the growth of the second hand pre-loved clothes market.
Here are some reasons why you should buy secondhand clothing:
- Buying secondhand clothing saves money
- You extend a garment’s life-cycle
- Buying used promotes sustainable fashion
- Secondhand clothing is unique
- Buying used clothing saves resources
- Reduces fast fashion demand
- Another man’s trash…
- It’s easier to shop secondhand
- Secondhand fashion lasts longer
5 Tips For Clothes Recycling And Disposal
1. Shopping Smart
Before you purchase a new piece of clothing, shoes etc, always think do I need it and will I wear it.
2. Pass/Swap/Hand Them Down
Before you decide to dispose of or recycle the clothes that you will longer use or wear, consider passing them on to a friend or a family member if they might be interested in them. There are also several online platforms that allow you to swap or re-sell your clothing.
- Donate To Charity
You can also donate clothes & textiles in good condition to local charity shops.
- Transform & Upcycle – An Alternative Way of Clothes Recycling
You can transform clothes that have holes/are damaged or stained, into new items such as face masks, tablecloths, cleaning cloths, blankets, padding for chairs, bags, t-shirts and so much more!
- Civic Amenity Sites
If you feel you cannot do any of the above, you can always bring them to your local civic amenity site or clothing banks near you.
For more information: