This week 96FM spoke with Lorraine Naughton owner of OB1 Salon.
Did you know…
The average full time hairstylist generates 3 kgs of waste each year, after 5 years that’s an estimated 236 kgs of waste sent to landfill.
Hair can be used to make booms which clean up oil spills.
Before Green Salon Collective was founded in 2020 all of the salon foil ever used in hair salons went to landfill or incineration.
What you can do:
- Wash out your shampoo and conditioner bottles so they can be recycled.
- Move from disposable cups and glasses to reusable options.
- Look at using alternatives to aluminium hair foils.
- Buy products with biodegradable packaging.
- Place recycling bins in visible areas to encourage people to use them more.
- Talk to your clients about recycling hairdryers and straighteners if they’re replacing old or broken ones.
Here’s a few resources if you want to know more: