Did You Know:
- Ballydehob native, inventor & innovator Fionn Ferriera has come up with a clever solution to combat microplastics in our oceans.
- Microplastics are millimetres in size. Microplastics enter our waters through clothing, ocean waste & fishing waste that breaks down overtime. It’s toxic for humans to ingest & affect our reproductive & endocrine systems.
- 33 billion pounds of plastics enter our waters every year.
- We ingest 5 grams of microplastics a week.
- Fionn came up with a solution to remove microplastics from water using a magnetic liquid. This creates a magnetic force with the plastic.
- It’s a unique formulation, it’s a mix of rust power & vegetable oil.
- He has engineered a device, to connect to a flow system which extracts microplastics.
- Now he’s working to scale this invention to introduce it to a wastewater treatment plant or water plant.
- He hopes to introduce a home device that homeowners can use in the home to remove microplastics at home.
- Fionn hopes to make more inventions for the environment.
- He hopes people stop producing plastic & plastic waste.
- Cleaning up is not the solution, stopping producing it is the solution.
What You Can Do:
- Reconsider your purchase.
- Limit the amount of plastic packaged items you purchase & instead look for alternatives.
- Ensure you recycle plastic items where possible.
Find Out More: