Did You Know:
- 50 plus businesses in Killarney have united to stop single use coffee cups.
- 7 in 10 people have their own cup at home.
- 200 million single use coffee cups used in Ireland each year and they have a lifespan of 13 minutes.
- The reason behind the initiative was due to the amount of litter in the National Park or going to landfill with coffee cups being a big problem.
- Single use coffee cups are often made of plastic, or the lining of the cup contains plastic. They take 20 -30 years to break down.
- The deposit system was introduced.
- People are asked to bring their own cup, sit in to drink or buy a return cup for €2.
- The return cup can be brought back to select shops and the €2 is returned.
- Killarney has 1 million tourists each year, this move will eliminate 1.5 million coffee cups from the town.
- The movement is making waves across the world. The Coffee Cup Project are getting calls from people around the world.
What You Can Do:
- Stop buying single use coffee cups.
- Bring your own everyday.
- Sit inside a coffee shop instead.
- Cafes and businesses can get involved.
- Schools can get involved for workshops.
Find Out More: