Did You Know:
- Kinsale is one of the first towns in the world to become a Transition Town, starting in 2001.
- The town follows the ideologies of Permaculture.
- Kinsale College was also one of the first colleges to teach permaculture, attracting students from around the world.
- They rolled out the Transition Town in a number of ways:
- Using sustainable materials in buildings.
- Using sustainable and local energy such as solar panels.
- Reducing the use of oil.
- Relocalising services.
- Rewilding areas, growing meadows, planting trees and creating edible plants.
- They have created an edible trail in the town.
- Going zero waste.
- Just recently they planted 6000 in one day.
- Kinsale has the highest number of electric cars in Ireland.
What You Can Do:
- Try your best to go the sustainable route across the board, reduce your waste including food waste, repurpose waste by upcycling goods, repairing goods or reusing stuff such as food waste to make compost or soil.
- Grow a green patch of wildflower or plants in your home or garden.
- Get involved with your local community in how you can contribute to Tidy Towns, Mens Sheds or collaborate with businesses in how collectvively you can be more greener.
- Contact your local parish and grow wild flowers or plant trees in unused land.
Find Out More: