Did You Know:
- Irish streams are the home of many species.
- The River Bride is home to herons, brown trout, grey wagtails, dippers, king fishers & otters as well as an array of bugs, bees & butterflies.
- Otters leave their mark in areas by way of their spraint (otter poop). They leave their mark in the same places.
- Otters are mostly nocturnal in their activities.
- By using trail cameras, Chris of Save Our Bride Otters & the Cork Nature Network began to examine the otters movement. Through that they discovered that the river Bride is a nature corridor for the otters.
- Dippers in rivers are an indicator of biodiversity & is also an indicator that the river is clean.
- Grey wagtails are a rare & red listed species & they also visit the Bride.
- The Flood Relief Scheme for Blackpool proposes to culvert the river which Chris & Save Our Bride Otters are opposing & instead suggesting alternative flood defence schemes in a bid to save the Bride & its inhabitants.
- A kilometre of the River Bride & Glen are already culverted & covered. The alternative measure suggested is to use an upstream storage system.
- The river is often littered. Chris does a weekly clean up & often finds an array of litter from e-scooters, fully packaged food, trolleys, colostomy bags to name a few.
- Vapes are yet again a common item found in the river, they have lithium batteries which often leak which is highly destructible to the river.
- Litter has a detrimental impact on rivers & the wildlife. People are advised not to flush any baby wipes or wet wipes in their toilet. Due to the sewage system they often appear in our streams & rivers contaminating the river.
- There are calls for more public bins in towns to deter people from illegal dumping.
What You Can Do:
- Take pride in your locality. Do a weekly clean up in your area with a group of volunteers to ensure a healthy stream or river.
- Take note of your local wildlife at the riverbed to see who inhibits the river & to observe any rare species.
- Call for more public bins or amenity drop off points to discourage fly tipping.
- To join Chris & Save Our Bride Otters in their goals to save the river Bride from being culverted follow Save Our Bride Otters & The Blackpool Flood Relief Scheme for public consultations.
Find Out More: