This week, East Coast FM looked at combatting Environmental Damage
Did you know…
- Environmental Damage negatively impacts quality of life for humans and wildlife
- Environmental Damage to waterways is a leading issue that contaminates water for human consumption and aquatic habitats
- Emissions from cars and other transportation can increase damage to air
- Microplastics from litter can infiltrate and harm soil, waterways, and habitats
Why is preventing Environmental Damage important?
- Preventing the harm of waterways could reduce contamination of water for humans and the destruction of wildlife habitats
- Reducing Environmental Damage to air could combat illnesses caused by air pollution, like lung cancer
- Cutting back on plastics will reduce personal amounts of garbage produced that could have been littered in human and wildlife environmental spaces
- Taking measures to prevent Environmental Damage can bond communities by finding solutions together
What can I do to prevent Environmental Damage?
- Prevent cooking oil, a common contaminate, from damaging water sources by putting it in a compostable container to dispose in a food waste bin.
- Walk, bike, and use public transport when possible to reduce personal contribution to air pollution
- Use reusable products and try to avoid plastic packaging to reduce overuse of plastic
- Know how to properly dispose different kinds of waste, like disposing of food in food waste bins and non-recyclable waste in general garbage bins
Here’s a few websites if you want to know more
- https://www.mywaste.ie/ – My Waste, Ireland’s guide to managing waste
- https://www.epa.ie/ – Ireland’s Environmental Protection Agency
- https://www.gov.ie/en/organisation/department-of-the-environment-climate-and-communications/ – Government of Ireland