This week, East Coast FM looked at bikes for transportation and recreation.
Did you know…
- There are many types of bikes, like mountain and electric, for any activity or need
- Cycling reduces cars on the road and lessens traffic in metropolitan areas
- Biking offers great flexibility, with no set timetable and less parking restrictions
What are the greater benefits of biking?
- Riding bikes reduces harmful carbon emissions since they don’t use petrol
- Biking doubles as a form of exercise fit for all ages that improves overall physical and mental health
- Biking promotes biodiversity with less noise pollution and potentially reducing the need to build more roads for vehicle transportation in the environment
- Biking together as a neighborhood transportation and recreational activity can bond communities over shared interests
How can I use bikes as a sustainable method transportation and recreation?
- Before investing in a bike, decide how you’ll use it the most to research and determine which type best fits your needs
- Look for shops and apps in your area that have bikes to rent before buying
- Know the rules and regulations about riding bikes for transportation and recreation in your area
Here are resources for more information:
- https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel-and-recreation/cycling/overview-cycling/ – Overview of Cycling in Ireland
- https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel-and-recreation/cycling/cycling-offences/ – Safe Cycling in Ireland
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/best-bike/ – Various Types of Bikes