This week Galway Bay FM looked at the need to encourage more cycling around Galway City with Paul O’Donnell of An Mheitheal Rothar.
Did you know…
- An Mheitheal Rothar came about following one of the first meetings of The NUIG Ecology Society in September 2010
- One of the ideas suggested was to establish an autonomous space where students could come and repair their bicycles in an environment which encouraged peer to peer learning, civic and environmental responsibility and empowered people in their own abilities.
- In March 2012, a space was secured in Block R on Earls Island for the project.
- In that same week they were successful in the NUIG Students Union Enterprise Awards; after 18 months of hard work, An Mheitheal Rothar became a reality.
- They launch of the workshop was on Sunday the 16 of June 2013 as part of National Bike Week.
Why is moving to cycling in a sustainable way so important?
- It prioritises environmentally friendly practices, such as using renewable energy and promoting bike commuting as a sustainable transportation option.
- Bike shops like AMR often prioritize bikes and accessories made from recycled or upcycled materials, reducing waste and promoting a circular economy.
- They have knowledgeable staff who can help you choose the right bike and accessories, ensuring a better cycling experience.
- By supporting sustainable bike shops, you contribute to the local economy and help create a vibrant cycling community in your area.
- Shops like this often focus on selling durable and high-quality bikes, ensuring that your investment will last for years to come.
What can I do to help support efforts to cycle sustainably?
- Opt for cycling as your primary mode of transportation whenever possible. By reducing the use of cars, you contribute to a more sustainable and eco-friendly way of getting around.
- Regularly maintain and service your bicycle to ensure optimal performance and longevity. This reduces the need for frequent replacements and helps minimize waste.
- Purchase bikes and accessories from sustainable bike shops that prioritize eco-friendly practices and ethical sourcing.
- Share the benefits of cycling and sustainable transportation with others. Encourage your friends, family, and community to consider cycling as a viable and eco-friendly option.
- Advocate for better cycling infrastructure in your area, such as bike lanes, secure bike parking, and bike-sharing programs. By supporting and using these facilities, you help create a more cycling-friendly environment.
Here’s a few websites if you want to know more!