This week Galway Bay FM looked at how micro-dairy farming can work ecologically and economically.
Did you know…
- Micro-dairying is a farming practice that involves small-scale milk production that is usually done in a sustainable way
- It has many ecological benefits including reducing carbon footprint, improving soil health and promoting biodiversity
- Micro-dairying also has the added benefit of offering farmers a premium price for their sustainable product
Why is moving to ecologically friendly dairy farming important?
- It can help to reduce the negative impacts of conventional/intensive dairy farming on the environment, like pollution, greenhouse gas emissions and soil degradation
- It can also improve the welfare of dairy animals
- It offers the opportunity for economic benefits for hard pressed farmers
What can I do to help reduce support environmentally friendly farming?
- Go on a Farming for Nature Walk and bring these practices to your farm or share the ideas with a farmer you know
- Support local micro-dairy products from a local supplier in your business/ home
- Advocate with your local representatives for policies that support small-scale farmers and environmentally farming practices
Here’s a few websites if you want to know more !
- Farming for Nature https://www.farmingfornature.ie/events/farm-walks
- Gleann Bui Farm https://gleannbuifarm.ie/
- Eco and Beyond https://www.ecoandbeyond.co/articles/sustainable-dairy-farms/