This week Galway Bay FM looked at Conservation and Rewilding at The Burren Nature Sanctuary with Co-Founder and Creative Director Mary Bermingham.
Did you know…
- Rewilding is a process of restoring ecosystems to their natural state.
- It can help restore biodiversity and promote a healthy environment.
- It often involves the reintroduction of native species that have been lost due to human activity.
- Conservation is the protection and management of natural resources to prevent their loss or degradation.
- It can include the preservation of habitats, species, and ecosystems.
- Conservation aims to maintain biodiversity and ecosystem services for future generations.
Why is the rewilding and conservation of habitats like the Burren important?
- Rewilding can involve the removal of non-native species that have been introduced to an ecosystem.
- It can help to reduce the impacts of climate change by increasing carbon sequestration and promoting healthy soils.
- It can also provide economic benefits, such as ecotourism and recreation opportunities.
- Conservation can provide economic benefits, such as ecotourism and the sustainable use of natural resources.
- It can help to mitigate the impacts of climate change by promoting healthy ecosystems that sequester carbon.
What can I do to help protect and develop?
- Support organizations that promote rewilding and conservation efforts through donations or volunteer work.
- Plant native species in your yard or community to promote biodiversity and provide habitat for wildlife.
- Learn about rewilding and conservation issues and share your knowledge with others to raise awareness and promote action.
- 3. Spread awareness about conservation issues by sharing information with your community and on social media.
Here’s a few websites if you want to know more !
- The Burren Nature Sanctuary https://www.burrennaturesanctuary.ie/
- Burren and Cliffs of Moher Geopark https://www.burrengeopark.ie/
Rewilding Europe https://rewildingeurope.com/what-is-rewilding/