This week Highland Radio talked about Tidy Towns in Donegal
Did you know?
- Tidy Town Committees are in many local communities around Ireland.
- You can find them by a simple social media search like here: https://www.facebook.com/search/pages?q=tidy%20towns%20donegal&sde=AbrggujvjMyXR74p7wCRmi0L_zu0jmOyUZzf8HGUjsoFR3AgjBZh7C6nMHBmYpwZR4RMZiAkOHyu6RQidk6huyHE
- Or on the Tidy Towns website: https://www.tidytowns.ie/get-involved/find-your-local-committee/
- Tidy Towns run an annual competition! Pitch in and get your town recognised: https://www.tidytowns.ie/competition/
What do Tidy Towns Do?
- Reduce litter by regular maintenance
- Paint derelict buildings
- Give TLC to postboxes, litter bins and bollards
- Give the community members a space to connect
- Plant flower and trees and aid biodiversity
Tips for reducing litter in your area
- Disposable Vapes: Vapes are becoming a key problem area for litter. These can be dropped into the blue WEEE battery boxes and taken to be recycled free of charge. https://www.weeeireland.ie/2016/07/25/request-battery-box/
- Contact your local Tidy Towns to ask for clean-up supplies: pickers, gloves, bags. Let them know when you’re finished and arrange a collection point.
Encourage people in your circle to stop littering. Teach children the harms of littering for the environment to aid the fostering of good habits. Here’s a child friendly explainer video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pbXLw6NDBM