As Plastic Free July has kicked off we chatted to Martin Wisely from Refillz and Eibhlin Fitzpatrick from The Refill Mill about cutting down our plastic waste.
Did you know?
- Only 9% of plastic produced is recycled.
- Every minute of every day a truck load of plastic is dumped into the ocean which is killing marine life.
- 2 million plastic bags are used every single minute worldwide.
Martin’s Tips to cut down plastic use:
- Even if you do have plastic, try to reuse it by putting seeds in a plastic container, hold cosmetics in a used plastic container
Eibhlin’s tips to cut down plastic use:
- Pick one place to start – generally the bathroom is the easiest place to start, like a bamboo toothpaste, soap bars and shampoo bars.
- We’re used to having our reusable coffee cup and water bottle but try adding some reusable cutlery and a glass jar. This will stop you using disposable cutlery when you’re out.
- Repurpose plastic packaging that you already have