What is an Environmental Consultant?
Environmental consultants provide expert assessment and advisory services on matters pertaining to the management of environmental issues.
They use their understanding of environmental policies, sustainability methods and occupational health and safety guidelines to provide effective solutions.
The work of an environmental consultant: – Environmental consultants perform a variety of tasks to ensure businesses maintain sustainable practices.
Some examples of environmental consultant responsibilities:
- Meet with clients to determine their needs.
- Assess workspaces, construction sites, energy plants or manufacturing facilities to assess working conditions and environmental factors.
- Make recommendations about construction projects based on potential risks to the environment.
- Review environmental impact reports to aid decision-making.
- Help clients get environmental permits so they can conduct building projects within guidelines.
- Assist clients with reacting to environmental incidents like contamination spills and other situations that require cleanup projects.
- Maintain frequent communications with previous clients to provide additional guidance when necessary.
- Oversee a team of employees that the client assigns to environmental efforts at their company.
- Read scientific reports and environmental studies to enhance their knowledge of local ecosystems, environmental practices and available technologies.
How to become an environmental consultant:
Earn a bachelor’s degree – Prospective environmental consultants should pursue degree program in a related subject such as environmental science, ecology, geology, environmental engineering or conservation.
Complete internships in environmental consulting – enhance your professional experiences and industry knowledge with an internship.
Consider earning a master’s degree – some master’s degree programs that would apply to the environmental consultant profession include environmental science, environmental health, environmental management, sustainability and energy management.