What are the benefits of cycling?
- Cycling increases stamina, strength and aerobic fitness.
- Cycling is brilliant for the environment as it reduces air and noise pollution, alongside boosting biodiversity and protecting green spaces in an area.
- It can be as intense as you want- from low intensity if you are recovering from injury or it can be an excellent physical workout.
- Cycling is great for your physical health as it is low impact and causes less strain and injuries than other forms of physical exercise.
- It’s a great workout for your muscles as it uses all the major muscle groups as you pedal.
- Cycling is known for having a positive impact on your mental health- decreasing stress levels alongside reducing anxiety and depression.
- It’s a great use of time- you can replace sitting in a car or public transport with exercise time.
What are some safety tips when cycling in the city?
- Wear a helmet- studies have shown it can reduce the risk of serious injury by 70 percent
- Check your equipment before your journey- insuring your tires are properly inflated, reflectors and lights are working and your chains to reduce the risk of a malfunction.
- Wear reflective clothing to increase visibility
- Keep your hands on the bike to be ready incase of a fall or hitting an unexpected object on the road
- Know your signals- particularly at junctions to communicate with other road users
Limerick Cycling Campaign aims to strengthen the position of cycling in debates around culture, transport, infrastructure & legislation locally, nationally and internationally and you can find out more on their Facebook, Limerick Cycling Campaign.
The Cycle to Work scheme is a tax incentive scheme to encourage employees to cycle to work, and you can learn more at the citizen’s information website under cycle to work scheme.