Did you know that…
- Earth’s ozone layer is improving and on track to recover by the middle of the 21st century.
- Exposure to UVB radiation is linked with increased risk of skin cancer and cataracts, as well as damage to plants and marine ecosystems.
- Ozone depleting substances are chemicals that go into the atmosphere and cause damage to the ozone layer. We know that in the 1980s there was a hole discovered in the ozone layer above antarctica.
- The ozone layer depletion means that harmful ultraviolet rays come to the earth and cause a threat to humans.
What products are harmful to the ozone layer?
- Harmful CFCs chemicals are contained in some underarm deodorants, refrigerators, fire extinguishers and certain types of foams.
- How is this problem being tackled?
- Industries producing CFCs and other chemicals causing damages were put under international pressure to find alternatives.
- The Montreal protocol ensured a phase out and ban of these chemicals.
- Now in 2023, the ozone layer is knitting itself back together.
- This proves immediate action can make a huge difference in the fight against ecological breakdown.
Here’s a few websites if you want to know more!
NASA Ozone Watch: Latest status of ozone What is the current state of the ozone layer?
https://www.epa.gov/ozone-layer-protection/basic-ozone-layer-science- Ozone Layer Science