This week Midwest Radio looked the development of the Mayo Dark Skies project in conjunction with the Wild Nephin National Park
Did you know…
- Mayo Dark Skies is home to Ireland’s first International Dark Sky Park, recognised for its exceptional stargazing.
- Mayo Dark Skies offers breathtaking views of the Milky Way and stunning displays of auroras.
- Mayo Dark Skies is a sanctuary for nocturnal wildlife, preserving their natural habitats and behaviours.
Why is the perseveration of dark skies in the west of Ireland so important?
- Preserving dark skies in the west of Ireland protects the natural rhythms of nocturnal wildlife.
- Dark skies foster ecotourism, attracting visitors to experience the beauty of the night sky.
- Reduction of light pollution improves human health, sleep quality, and overall well-being.
What can I do to help the dark skies?
- Use outdoor lighting wisely: Shield lights, direct them downward, and choose low-intensity fixtures to minimize light pollution.
- Support local initiatives: Get involved in community efforts advocating for dark sky-friendly policies and lighting regulations.
- Raise awareness: Educate others about the importance of dark skies, encouraging responsible lighting practices and stargazing etiquette.
Here’s a few websites if you want to know more!
Info on the national parks in Ireland – National Parks of Ireland – Where Nature Speaks
All information on the dark sky park in Mayo – Mayo Dark Sky Park