This week Midwest Radio looked at the beaches and sand dunes in county Mayo and how best to preserve them
Did you know…
- There are 12 blue flag beaches in county Mayo in 2023, along with six green coast awards.
- Ireland boasts over 80 Blue Flag beaches where you can swim with seals, explore ancient ruins, and embrace stunning coastal beauty.
- The Water quality, safety, environmental management, facilities, and education initiatives determine Blue Flag beach status in Ireland.
Why are sustaining beaches and sand dunes so important?
- Beaches and dunes protect against coastal erosion, safeguarding communities and infrastructure from storm surges.
- Dunes provide vital habitats for unique flora and fauna, contributing to Ireland’s rich biodiversity.
- Sustainable beach management supports tourism, recreation, and ecosystem services, fostering a thriving coastal economy and environment.
What can I do to help local beaches and sand dunes?
- Stay on designated paths to prevent trampling dunes, preserving fragile ecosystems and preventing erosion.
- Participate in beach clean-ups to remove litter, reducing pollution and safeguarding marine life.
- Support local conservation efforts, attend workshops, and spread awareness to ensure responsible beach enjoyment and preservation.
Here’s a few websites if you want to know more!
Check out all the blue flag beaches in Mayo – www.mayo.ie
Helping climate resilience in Ireland www.caro.ie