This week Dublin’s Q102 visited Dun Laoghaire Harbour to see how they help limit pollution on their coast
Did you know…
- Millions of tons of plastic enter the oceans each year
- Oil spills, both large and small, can occur in harbours and at sea.
- The dumping of marine debris leads to not only plastics but also abandoned fishing gear and other litter building up.
What do Dun Laoghaire Harbour do?
- Every time a safety patrol boat is deployed they must bring back one carton of litter from the nearby coast.
- They put an emphasis on daily cleans and picking up litter and waste as they go rather than waiting for it to build up
- Their primary focus is keeping marine life safe from waste.
How can I help with waste polluting our oceans?
- Make sure when putting rubbish in nearby bins that they’re not overflowing.
- Consider joining a volunteer cleaning group.
- Be aware of the biodiversity lurking beneath the water
Here’s a few websites if you want to know more !