This week on Ours to Protect we looked at the importance of bees and pollinators.
The Wild Bee Fest was recently held in Tralee Bay Wetlands.
This event aimed to raise awareness about pollinators and how everyone can help.
Did you know?..
Bees provide an enormous free service for Irish society.
They help with so many things from pollinating crops to our beautiful flowers.
There are more pollinators than just bees including butterflies, small flies, wasps and more!
One third of wild bees in Ireland are threatened with extinction.
How can I help?…
- Planting native trees in your own garden
- Learn how to garden more organically, and stop spraying pesticides.
- Don’t cut your grass so often, a variety of wildflowers are needed for bees all year round
- If you have room, a hedgerow can promote pollination.
- If you’re interested in putting flowers in your garden, visit the garden center first to see the plants bees are drawn to!