This week Radio Nova looked at the importance of locally grown flowers vs. imported bouquets
Did you know…
- A bouquet of imported flowers has a carbon footprint of 30kg (a flight to Paris has a carbon footprint of 60kg)
- Local flowers have a carbon footprint of 1.71kg
- Imported flowers require a continuous spray of chemicals to keep them fresh – there are no such chemicals on local flowers
- Irish Flower Week takes place on 01-09/07/2023
What can I do to help cut down on my carbon footprint when purchasing flowers?
- Buy form a local Flower Farmer – find your local farmer at www.flowerfarmersofireland.ie
- Ask your florist if they source local flowers, and if not, would they consider sourcing them
Here’s a few websites if you want to know more !
www.flowerfarmersofireland.ie – The Flower Farmers of Ireland
https://www.instagram.com/flowerfarmersireland/?hl=en – Flower Farmers Ireland on Instagram