Did you know?
- Irish shoppers waste 50% more food during Christmas week than during the entire rest of the year.
- Thousands of Christmas dinners are dumped to the value of around €42 million.
- When food rots in landfill, it releases methane, a greenhouse gas that is 25 times more potent than carbon dioxide. As well as contributing to climate change, food waste is unethical.
- Christmas is a time for giving, and sadly also a time when a lot of food is wasted in Wexford and all over Ireland.
Top Tips to reduce food waste this Christmas:
- Planning your Christmas menu – it’s never too late to start
- Stick to your Christmas shopping list – only buy what you need
- Store your Christmas food properly – make the most of it
- Cooking enough Christmas fare – give family-style serving a go
- Use up your leftovers – can save you time and money