One third of all food produced for human consumption is wasted generating up to 10% of global greenhouse gas emissions and up to two thirds of this waste comes from businesses.
But reducing food waste in your business can save you money and reduce your carbon emissions.
- STEP 1: Make a start, gather basic food waste data
- STEP 2: Review and improve your data
- STEP 3: Establishing your food waste estimate
- STEP 4: Refine, update and continue
- NEXT STEPS: Food waste has significant environmental implications but, for your business, it can have a serious impact on your margins. It has been found that over 60% of food coming out of food service businesses is potentially avoidable and the cost of this to your business is ~€3 per kg (this is purchasing costs only). You can now use your initial food waste figure to estimate the true cost of food waste for your business. Multiply your annual tonnage by €3,000 and this will provide an indicative cost of purchasing the avoidable fraction of your food waste. For more information on food waste from different sectors see the following resources on foodwastecharter.ie
Further information on the Food Waste Charter and how to sign up can be found at www.foodwastecharter.ie.