This week, Tipp FM learns more the Shannon Estuary Economic Taskforce.
Did you know?
The Programme for Government committed to supporting the Shannon Estuary and surrounding area through the establishment of a Taskforce to evaluate the economic development potential of the area and determining how this potential can be realised in both an economically and environmentally sustainable way.
The Taskforce was established on 21 April 2022 and comprises leaders in industry and academia from across the Shannon Estuary area.
What were the Terms of Reference for the taskforce ?:
- Assess the strategic strengths and comparative advantages of the Shannon Estuary from an investment and enterprise development perspective, in a national and international context;
- Scope potential areas of opportunity for the Shannon Estuary and specify policy and investment requirements to exploit those areas of potential;
- Assess the current connectivity of the region and make recommendations as to how this could be enhanced;
- Specify the actions required from national and local government, as well as from other stakeholders, to exploit those areas of potential;
- Produce a Report and associated Action Plan with specific steps in areas of potential.
Main points from Report:
- Taskforce report reveals opportunity for ‘Atlantic Green Digital Corridor’, anchored from estuary but running from Donegal to Cork and becoming global green digital hub
- Up to 50,000 ‘green jobs’ alone to be created over next 30 years as estuary can rebalance national economy
- National Floating Offshore Wind Development Agency recommend as one-stop shop to realise opportunity
- Report launch day will be remembered as one that reshaped Ireland’s economy and society – Minister Coveney