Did You Know:
- The only thing you should flush down the toilet are the 3 P’s – poo, pee and paper.
- If you flush other things down the toilet, they don’t break dow. They end up blocking pipes, or ending up as waste in our streams, rivers and beaches which is harmful to the environment and wildlife.
- The common items flushed:
- Wet wipes, cotton bud sticks, dental floss and contact lenses.
- Common items poured down the drain:
- Fats, oils and greases.
- When these are poured down as liquids, they eventually solidify in drains.
- Combined with things flushed down the toilet they form fatbergs which block the drains and have to be removed physically.
- Baby wipes are deceptive, while the package says they can be flushed down they most definitely should not. These can’t break down in water like toilet paper does
- Even if something says it’s flushable it’s advised not to be flushed.
- If you do the same action with toilet paper it does break down.
- Think before you pour, don’t pur fats, oils or greases down the drain. These liquids eventually solidify in the drain. Instead leave them cool, pour them into a plastic container and pour them into a proper bin.
- Brown bin curbside collections sometimes collect fats, oils and greases.
What You Can Do:
- Only flush the 3 P’s – poo, pee, paper.
- Don’t flush anything else.
- Educate others.
Find Out More: