Did You Know:
- Cork Clothes Swap do two monthly clothes swaps in Cork.
- One is at Revery Books in the Marina Market
- The other is at St.Peter’s in Cork city.
- The idea is to bring 5 items you don’t want anymore and exchange them for 5 other items.
- Swapping clothes, buying second hand or vintage clothing is the eco-friendly and sustainable way to contribute to the circular economy of fashion.
- 92 million tonnes of clothing end up in landfills each year which is the equivalent of a rubbish truck dumping clothes on a landfill every second.
- The group collaborates with other groups internationally sharing advice and growing the movement.
- Halloween also is a bad contributor to textile waste.
- Often items are worn once or disposed of too frequently.
- 80% of costumes are made of plastics.
- Over 2000 tonnes of Halloween costumes are dumped each year.
- Older generations used to mend and repair clothes, Cork Clothes Swap wants to bring that fixing fashion element to events.
- They hold workshops on fixing garments and mending clothes.
What You Can Do:
- Go to a Cork Clothes Swap event.
- Buy second hand or vintage clothing.
- Avoid fast fashion.
- Buy quality clothing that is long lasting.
- Repair or mend clothing.
- Recycle clothing to avoid landfills.
Find Out More: