This week on Ours to Protect East Coast FM looked at the Clean Coasts’ ‘Love Your Coast’ Photography Competition. Here are tips to protect the coastal environment.
- Always take your litter away with you.
- Take a reusable water bottle and recycle waste. Plastic is the enemy of the seaside. It contains chemicals that are harmful to animals and fish. It also causes suffering to all forms of marine life as creatures become tangled in plastic waste.
- Take all beach equipment home with you including parasols, fold-away chairs and inflatables.
- Invest in eco-friendly beach apparel.
- Don’t feed sea creatures. It might be exciting to see fish come up for bread but it’s not their natural diet and it will harm them.
- Think about the sunscreens and sprays you’re using as these will wash off in the water. Apply suntan lotion a good hour before you hit the beach so it’s better absorbed. Better still, have a look for eco-friendly sprays and lotions.
- Try not to disturb marine life in rock pools. Make sure you return anything you’ve taken out and don’t use nets.
Check out the following websites for more information.