What can I do? What’s needed to help improve Ireland’s air quality?
What can I do?
We can all help improve the quality of the air that we breathe:
- Reduce Particulate Matter (PM) pollution from home heating:
- Avoid using solid fuels if you have an alternative cleaner heating system.
- Change how you heat your home by moving away from smoky fuels and instead use cleaner heat sources.
- Make your home more comfortable by increasing/improving insulation. Supports are available through the national retrofitting scheme
Reduce Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2 ) pollution from transport:
- Leave the car at home if you can, for one day a week
- Walk, cycle or take public transport
- Work from home if possible, for part of your working week.
- Go Electric on your next car.
Help is needed to facilitate people to make cleaner and healthier air quality choices:
- Local authorities must prioritise the appropriate allocation of resources to advance air enforcement activities and implement the new solid fuel regulations.
- Maintain and increase investment in clean public transport infrastructure across the country.
- Create more safe footpaths and cycle lanes.
(Source: Air Quality in Ireland Report 2022)