This week Radio Kerry looked at the impact of plastic on our beaches
Did you know…
- Approximately 10 million tonnes of litter end up in the world’s oceans and seas each year.
• Plastics make up approximately 80% of all marine litter.
• Plastic doesn’t decompose, it breaks down into smaller versions known as micro-plastics.
• Marine litter kills, injures and causes pain and causes serious harm to people, communities and animals around the world
How can I help?
- Beach cleaning can be as easy or as complicated as you make it! If you see rubbish on the beach, pick it up!
• Join a beach cleaning group, this can be a fun way to socialise and give back to the community.
• Make sure to dispose of your own rubbish and plastic correctly.
• Try and reduce your use of single use plastics, this will cut down on the amount of waste that can end up on our beaches.
Here’s a few websites if you want to know more!