Did you know…
- A survey conducted at BT Young Scientist 2023 found that more than half of Irish students say climate change worries or concerns them.
- 91% believe science and technology can help combat the crisis.
- Young women are more likely to rate the crisis as “very serious.”
Why is it important to encourage environmentalism in young people…
- Sustainability: It fosters a sense of responsibility for the planet leading to a more sustainable future.
- Awareness: It raises awareness about pressing environmental issues, inspiring youth to act and advocate for positive change.
- Interconnectedness: Teaching environmentalism highlights the interconnectedness of ecosystems and the impact of human actions.
What can I do to help support the promotion of environmentalism in young people?
- Education: Support environmental education in local schools and communities.
- Lead by Example: Practice habits to set a good example.
- Advocate for Policy Change: Support policies and legislation addressing environmental concerns and involving young people in advocacy efforts.
Here’s a few websites if you want to know more!
https://ecounesco.ie/ – ECO UNESCO
https://greenschoolsireland.org/ – Green Schools Ireland
https://www.youngfoe.ie/ – Young Friends of the Earth