For this week’s episode we met Shay Riordan, CEO of West Limerick Resources as he told us about the success of the unique stand at the National Ploughing Championships that helped participants to visualise the benefits of biodiversity.
What is Wildwork?
- Wildwork is an initiative to help restore, conserve and reinvigorate biodiversity.
- It helps to work to sustain nature and biodiversity by informing people what they can do to get in touch with nature.
- Wildwork is open to businesses, communities, educators, state bodies, farmers and individuals to get involved.
- Wildwork provides a toolkit to give foundational knowledge on managing green spaces you are responsible for.
I have a green space ,what can I do to make it more biodiverse?
- Water features- try to include a pond or bird bath to provide a water source for wildlife and a habitat for aquatic insects.
- Avoid pesticides, herbicides and synthetic fertilisers as they can be damaging to wildlife. Natural alternatives such as peat-free compost are a more eco-friendly alternative.
- Choose native Irish plant species as they are best adapted to our environment. Species like the blackthorn, willow, birch and ash tree are recommended by the All-ireland pollinator plan.
Learn more about WildWork…